Now that cold weather is here to stay, I wanted to share my version of a classic winter drink with you. The hot toddy is honestly one of the perfect alcoholic drinks for wintry nights and they are super simple to make. I love sipping hot tea in the winter and the addition of a little bit of gin makes it even better! We actually found a locally sourced gin called Death’s Door which blends really well with the spiced tea in these. Hot toddies are a great low calorie, low sugar beverage for holiday parties since there isn’t a lot of fruit juice or sugary syrup. The tea I used for these is one of my new favorites from Trader Joe’s called Harvest Blend Herbal Tea. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby, simply pick up an herbal tea with a strong cinnamon note to it.
Harvest Hot Toddy
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tea bags of harvest blend herbal tea
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 4 oz. gin (we like Death’s Door)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Add tea bags to hot water and let steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 oz. juice and 2 oz. gin into each mug. Add 1 cup of tea.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and lemon wedges.
Throughout college and grad school, one of my absolute favorite places to be was the local coffee shop. It was such a great environment for getting a caffeine fix while studying or chatting with friends. These days, I definitely don’t spend as much time at the local coffee place as I used to, but I still love it just the same. This weekend, Will and I spent the afternoon at Ipsento Coffee, just a few blocks from our house. I decided to splurge and try their signature latte – it was incredible! The thing that sold me on this drink was the dash of cayenne pepper; I love the hint of spice it gives this latte. The coconut milk also adds a lot of great flavor. Since I don’t want to be spending all of my money at the coffee shop, I decided to recreate it at home and share with you!
Honey Coconut Latte
(Makes 1 latte)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk/cream
- 1-2 shots of espresso or 3 oz. strong coffee
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Heat milk and coconut cream together until hot. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Snuggle up on the couch and enjoy!
Swimming at the pool. Grilling. Lying on the beach. Road trips. Shopping the farmers market. What are some of your favorite summer activities? We haven’t made it to the beach yet, but I have definitely been enjoying our bike rides around the city. Our cars are pretty much neglected on the weekends – I love it! Anyways, today I wanted to share with you a little homemade soda concoction that Will came up with recently. This citrusy soda reminds me of all the good things about summer. Without the simple syrup or a little sugar, it can be a little tart, but that’s one of the best things about this drink!
Summery Citrus Soda
- 1 1/2 cups club soda
- 1/4 teaspoon grapefruit bitters
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup (optional)
- Stir ingredients in a cocktail shaker or pitcher. (If using a martini shaker, don’t shake it or else you will have a soda explosion. Not speaking from experience or anything…)
- Pour into separate glasses with ice. Serve.
**To make it a tasty adult beverage, add 1/3 cup of gin. It adds a lovely hint of herbiness that you just can’t quite get without it.**
What is your beverage of choice in the summer-time?