Whenever fall starts to settle in, I get the strongest craving for soup! Last week, I was feeling tired of packing salads for lunch, so I whipped up this stew. I incorporated some of the squash I roasted over the weekend and tossed in a few leaves of kale for color. Red lentils serve as a perfect, creamy base since they love to soak up any liquid you use when cooking them. The more liquid you add, the soupier they become. When serving this stew, I tossed some fontina cheese on top, however, if you want to keep it vegan, just leave it off. It made very tasty leftovers for lunch!
Lentil Stew w/Roasted Squash and Kale (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup cubed, roasted squash (I used butternut and delicata – just chop into bite size pieces, toss in salt/olive oil, and bake until browned)
- 3-4 large kale leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Combine lentils, water, and broth in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and partially cover with lid.
- Simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed, ~20 minutes.
- Toss in kale, garlic, salt, and garam marsala. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Toss in roasted squash and cook 1-2 minutes, continuing to stir.
What is your favorite fall soup?