In college, the little cafe on campus sold a salad similar to this one with apples, walnuts, and chunks of cheddar cheese. I was totally addicted! For some reason, every fall I start craving this salad again. As I mixed one up for lunch this weekend, I knew I just had to share it with you all! I am always surprised how well the crisp sweetness of the apples pairs with the tartness of the vinaigrette and slight bitterness of the lettuce. Every time I eat this salad now, I think about my college days again. Sometimes I miss being in school, if only for a brief moment before I remember all the stress too! Apple Walnut Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
Dressing (makes 2-3 servings) – based on this recipe:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spring mix
- 1 ounce shredded cheese (I used Dijon gouda)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 apple, chopped
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Combine salad dressing ingredients in a small jar. Shake well.
- Combine salad ingredients. Top with dressing and serve.