I love waking up in the morning and not having anything to do but grab my breakfast and lunch straight from the fridge. However, the number of times in a week that I actually have the ambition to prep by breakfast and pack my lunch the night before is rare… except when I am craving a batch of overnight oats or chia “cereal”! (Check out my post from earlier this week on the benefits of chia!)
One night, I didn’t have enough chia or oats for a full serving of overnight goodness, so Will suggested I combine the two. I loved how this turned out! In the morning, I just scooped the oats into a mason jar, topped it with fruit, and I had a healthy, filling breakfast I can take on the go! This was the perfect recipe for this month’s Recipe Redux theme of “raising the bar of food in a jar”. Hope you enjoy!
Overnight Chia Breakfast Oats
- 1 ripe banana (the more ripe, the better!)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup canned coconut cream
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk (or almond/soy milk)
- In a small mixing bowl, mash banana well.
- Stir in chia seeds and oats. Add coconut cream and the rest of the ingredients.
- Continue to stir until well combined.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight or portion out into a mason jar.
To serve, top with fruit, nuts, granola, etc. A couple of my favorite topping combos are: blueberries and almonds or walnuts and peaches.