Hi friends! Happy Wednesday. We’ve made it halfway through another week. Woohoo! Today, I wanted to share this absolutely delicious dish we came up with last week to use up the extra zucchini we had picked up at the market. I loved having leftovers to pack in my lunch all week as well. The one thing that really brings this dish together is the simple cheese sauce made from a roux and shredded cheddar. The same cheddar cheese sauce you would use to make macaroni and cheese from scratch with just a few chives thrown in. It was so yummy I could almost eat it from the sauce pan with a spoon! Anyways… I hope you’ll give this dish a try to use up summer’s bounty of zucchini!
Cheesy Zucchini Bake
(Makes ~6 Servings)
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thinly slice zucchini and squash with a mandolin. If you don’t have a mandolin, aim for slices <1/4 inch thick. (You can take the extra time to briefly broil the zucchini/squash spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet to get rid of some extra moisture, but this step isn’t totally necessary.)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour with a whisk. Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture begins to lightly brown.
- Add milk to flour/butter mixture in saucepan. Continue stirring over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Add shredded cheese and stir. Once sauce has thickened to desired consistency, add chives and stir for another minute. Pull off heat and add to the sliced zucchini and squash in a large bowl, stir well to combine.
- In a saute pan, melt butter and toss in onion, tempeh and taco seasoning. Cook over medium high heat until onion is translucent and tempeh begins to brown slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray a 9”x13” glass baking dish with cooking oil. Spread zucchini/cheese mixture into pan. Top with tempeh. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is browned nicely.